Watch out Gidge and July, there's a new blonde in town...

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

Gooch

Watch out Gidge and July, there's a new blonde in town...

Post by Gooch »

PARIS - A team of American-led divers has discovered a new crustacean in the South Pacific that resembles a lobster and is covered with what looks like silky, blond fur, French researchers said Tuesday.

Scientists said the animal, which they named Kiwa hirsuta, was so distinct from other species that they created a new family and genus for it.

The divers found the animal in waters 7,540 feet deep at a site 900 miles south of Easter Island last year, according to Michel Segonzac of the French Institute for Sea Exploration.

The new crustacean is described in the journal of the National Museum of Natural History in Paris.

The animal is white and just shy of 6 inches long — about the size of a salad plate.

In what Segonzac described as a "surprising characteristic," the animal's pincers are covered with sinuous, hair-like strands.

It is also blind. The researchers found it had only "the vestige of a membrane" in place of eyes, Segonzac said.

The researchers said that while legions of new ocean species are discovered each year, it is quite rare to find one that merits a new family.

The family was named Kiwaida, from Kiwa, the goddess of crustaceans in Polynesian mythology.

The diving expedition was organized by Robert Vrijenhoek of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California.
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
jr

Post by jr »

i heard dicky talk about this... i like his take on it...
hilarious.
the picture is scary... like a goiter or something...
HEY, lets make a movie!!!
12 bellz... YOU DO UNDERSTAND??!!
July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

Looks delicious!
...and then at the end of the letter I like to write "P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.-- Mitch Hedberg
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I dunno....that would be like...ummm...eating one of your own...although....you could prolly use some of that blonde hair to floss with once you were done dipping the tail and claws in butter....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

I'm learning that cannibalism isn't so bad.... :wink:
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

So I hear...so I hear....:D
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~