MySpace Plans Record Label

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

By Charles Duhigg, Times Staff Writer

MySpace.com, the hip Internet site that succeeded in getting the eyeballs of America's youths, now wants their ears.

The company today plans to launch MySpace Records in a venture with Universal Music Group's Interscope Records. First up will be MySpace Records Volume I, in stores Nov. 15.

ADVERTISEMENT
MySpace.com is a social networking site that also allows users to watch videos and listen to music. Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. paid $580 million in July to acquire the site's corporate parent, Intermix Media Inc.

MySpace plans to use the data it collects by observing its 36 million users to find undiscovered acts, said MySpace President and Chief Editorial Director Tom Anderson, who will oversee the new label.

Since News Corp. bought MySpace, skeptics have warned that ownership by a big media company could hurt the maverick image MySpace cultivated.

"They have to be really careful that people don't feel like a corporate giant is pushing music on them," said Chris Lombardi, head of independent label Matador Records.

MySpace executives said they would make sure that the site's editorial content wasn't biased toward their own bands.

The label expects to sign about five groups over the next year.

(T&A Records, you think????)
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Awesome... MySpacers should get to vote on the artists that get signed.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

so we end up with Tila Tequilla?
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Oh, hahah.. you're right, bad idea! Well, they can nominate and we vote. I would vote for La Rocca.... except maybe I don't want them to get signed because after all I'm an elitist bitch and I want them all for myself!!!
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bands whose names begin with "F" are usually the best becasue they can easily be found near "Foo Fighters"
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe