PLUG Awards

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

PLUG Awards

Post by obiwankobe »

Exclusive: PLUG Awards Nominees Announced

Amy Phillips reports:
I've got a fever, and the only cure is more awards shows! Nipping at the heels of the mtvU Woodies and the just-born New Pantheons come the PLUG Awards, arguably the coolest of the bunch. Devoted exclusively to independent music in 2005, and decided by folks roughing it in the trenches of the biz, the Pluggies (sorry, couldn't resist) seek to turn the bright lights on the music us Pitchdorks love to obsess over.

A 200-member advisory committee, which goes by the ominous name of the PLUG Cartel, chose the nominees. Cartel members include actors Adam Goldberg and Jason Lee, actor/comedian/scenster David Cross, author Dave Eggers, and groupie extraordinaire Cynthia Plaster Caster, along with a slew of journalists, bloggers, publicists, booking agents, radio programmers, filmmakers, label employees, and other industry types.

The winners, however, are decided by The People. As of right now, the PLUG ballot is open to anyone with an internet connection and a mouse. To vote, go HERE.

Plug has exclusively revealed the full lineup of nominees to Pitchfork, and man, do those nominators have good taste. (Yes, we're biased: several Pitchfork staffers were on the nominating committee.) Animal Collective, Antony and the Johnsons, Bloc Party, Bright Eyes, Broken Social Scene, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Devendra Banhart, MF Doom, The National, Sleater-Kinney, Spoon, and Sufjan Stevens will duke it out to follow 2004 winners Interpol as the PLUG Artist of the Year, and all of them were nominated for several awards, including Album, Song, Video, and Live Act of the Year. Luckily for all the nominees, "Trapped in the Closet" wasn't released on an independent label.

Pluggies will also be handed out for several genre Albums of the Year, including Hip-Hop, Punk, Indie Rock, Metal, Avant, Electronic/Dance, Americana, and DJ. Oddly, Sleater-Kinney's heavy stoner epic The Woods is nominated in Indie Rock and Punk but not Metal, and the Mobius Band's The Loving Sounds of Static falls under Electronic/Dance, when it isn't all that electronic, or danceable, or even that good.

In addition, labels, radio stations, record stores, magazines and zines, DVDs, websites, and festivals will be honored. For those last two categories, we encourage you to think fondly of the humble Fork and our little Intonation shindig when clicking those buttons.

The winners will be announced on February 2, 2006, at a ceremony at Webster Hall in New York City. The celebration will feature several performances; so far, only the National (nominated for a whopping six awards) and Beans and the Holy Fuck (nominated for, um, no awards) have been confirmed.

Once again, the PLUG ballot is HERE. Get to votin'!

* Pitchfork News: TV on the Radio Win Plug Awards Album of the Year
* Plug Awards: http://www.plugawards.com/
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

Vote for KCRW!!!!!!!!

College/Non-Comm Radio Station Of The Year &

Internet Radio Station of the Year

also you can vote for Jonesy for his show
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

KCRW are Nazis in disguise!!!!!
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I honestly need to read more of Tom's post more often...I missed that Nic Harcourt over at KCRW was a Nazi on this go around....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

*Annie* wrote:KCRW are Nazis in disguise!!!!!
Like in Raiders of the Lost Ark?
-tom

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

exactly!

:?:
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

not :!:
-tom

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Hail KCRW!!!!
~does her best Hitler impression~
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

At the last question it asks "who got overlooked?"

We all know the answer to that now don't we.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Jacks Shack wasnt an option for the best music website either.
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

nor did The Fliess recieve any alcolades, I believe these two actions undermine the credibility of the PLUG Awards
-tom

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Yeah that's kinda BS cause I personally purchased over a 1000 copies of the record, which means I must really like it.

Funny how Jack's radio is the only online station to play it, and was that was nominated for best online station, a resounding no.

O well.
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

write in campaign time!
-tom

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

NO FLEISS, NO PEACE!!!!
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."