Groups Indie Never Used To Play

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

biLzamo

Groups Indie Never Used To Play

Post by biLzamo »

I remember listening to Indie and thinking "gee, why dont they ever play any of the Killers or RHCP".

Dont get me wrong, when KROQ became KILLEROQ, i was as mad as anyone. i thought they were very overrated. some of their songs were good, like the one about him having soul but not being a soldier. but i got really sick of the song him whining about his girl taking her dress off.

But Indie seemed to refuse to air any Killers' song until they played that Indie sponsored show in San Diego, then all of a sudden Indie was playing the Killers nonstop.

Same with the Chili Peppers, i did not hear them at all until the last few months. i didnt hear Weezer either for a while.

I think it was an obvious jab at Kroq since those groups are like the standard hourly playlist at that station. Maybe they were trying to get as far as possible from their format.
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

soon you will be listening to KCRW only in the mornings though
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

I love the RHCP and I love old Weezer. I loved The Killers when they first came out and I played Hot Fuss about 15 times before i got sick of it and decided it was terrible. I do wish Indie played less of all of it, because there's so much new great bands and songs they could be playing instead of the same old stuff. Honestly, as long as they keep the Green Day down I'm cool.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
biLzamo

well

Post by biLzamo »

i liked Indie's morning show because it used to play a lot more music. i personally dont like hearing people talk instead of playing music.

but as a guy, dicky is bearable, he's funny and he has cool guests and usually knows when a segment goes too far and when to cut to commercial. but i can only stand to hear someone talk for so long.

one thing that makes listening to talk shows easier is getting Dj hosts with cool accents! Dicky=Boston, Jonezy=British. It makes for great ear candy, regardless of what theyre saying, it just sounds cool the way they say it! :lol:

- Doug McKenzie
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Speaking of accents, Green Day needs to stop faking one.
-Julian Casablancas
biLzamo

green day? green way!

Post by biLzamo »

all i know is green day was the only one to pull off a a major public anti-war song without getting anyone pissed, but instead won awards.

i also like the fact that they dont look like the cookie-cutter indie groups with malnourished rockers with super tight jeans, zip-up sweaters and mod haircuts.

- Doug McKenzie
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

*Annie* wrote:Speaking of accents, Green Day needs to stop faking one.
Hey Annie,
Tell "The Strokes" that Lou Reed called and he wants his drawl back.
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Well, good lord no one wants to see those guys in tight jeans. And of course, all that eye-liner and the dirty, messy hair is very, very original.
The reason that song didn't piss any one off is that it's a pussy song. Green Day has no balls, therefore it's not even punk.
-Julian Casablancas
biLzamo

omg!

Post by biLzamo »

yeah, well well, you suck!

i would bag on the strokes... but they rock, so consider yourself lucky!

- Doug McKenzie
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

obiwankobe wrote:
Hey Annie,
Ever hear this one? SUCK IT!
-Julian Casablancas
*Annie*

Re: omg!

Post by *Annie* »

biLzamo wrote:yeah, well well, you suck!

I smell defeat.
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

*Annie* wrote:
obiwankobe wrote:
Hey Annie,
not here
-tom

biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

*Annie* wrote:
obiwankobe wrote:
Hey Annie,

yeah, can you hum a few lines?

- Doug McKenzie
biLzamo

Re: omg!

Post by biLzamo »

*Annie* wrote:
biLzamo wrote:yeah, well well, you suck!

I smell defeat.
oh my dear, the only "defeat" i have is deez-feet kickin yo' butt.

you just miss point of green day... they are just doing their thing, and the whole time sticking with some bad singing and not straying far from their distinctive sound.

besides does Green Day even sing with an accent? maybe youre thinking of Greenland Day, did you got started on the sauce a little early tonight

and speaking of accents, whats worse, faking an accent or faking that you DONT have one so you can make it on american radio? ohhhhhh lets call it the come back, doo doo dooo doooooo

- Doug McKenzie
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

"Distinctive sound" is that what the kids are calling shitty music these days? Oh and are you suggesting there's actually a point to the shitty music?
Someone needs to tell Billy that numb is not pronounced "nouhm"! It's not even a cool fake accent it's like a lame cross between Canadian and German.
And yeah, faking having an accent is far worse than faking not having an accent. ALWAYS!
On my own, here we go!
-Julian Casablancas
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Annie loves Billy Joooooe....Annie loves Billy Jooooeee....:D
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
biLzamo

Green Day

Post by biLzamo »

When was the last time a group sounding like Green Day got such huge mainstream success across the board? Just because they aren't as gritty or underground anymore like a lot of other bands, they are considered pop/sellout/whatevers. They are introducing an alternative style of music to a whole new generation of kids, so they have choices of what to listen to.

Green Day is like the Bing Crosby of punk. It's watered down but it still gets the point across and its going out to every house in America, corrupting innocent kids like Annie.

Resistance is futile. (oh that gives me a great idea) :idea: idea!

- Doug McKenzie
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I agree....as an "old school" punk, I was near weeping stautus when they won their silly award....and the reason is this....whether you like it or not, Green Day brought punk back to the forefront....I don't give a flying fig if you think that thy are sell outs.....they put a face and sound to punk that has before been forgotten and brought the sound that made ME happy as a punk, back in the day, to the forefront and sold untold cd'S....which proves that punk and the ideals propunded therein is NOT dead....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Oh, don't worry, biLzamo. There's plenty of shitty bands Annie listens to that you could attack. For instance, she likes KROQ mainstay Fall Out Boy. Feel free to comment. :D
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
assholitis

Re: Groups Indie Never Used To Play

Post by assholitis »

biLzamo wrote:I remember listening to Indie and thinking "gee, why dont they ever play any of the Killers or RHCP".
Hm, well I don't know if they played 'em in heavy rotation at first, but I remember one of the first songs I started hearing a lot of when Indie first started was Jenny was a Friend of Mine. I don't think it ever got played in rotation on KROQ, which is partially why it's the only Killers song I still really like, I also like that it's really cryptic, and bass-driven. Completely opposite of all the other poppy tunes the Killers have.
As for the RHCP, I agree, I wonder why Indie doesn't play them as well. They're probably one of the only bands KROQ plays in heavy rotation that I really enjoy. If it's to prove a point to be as far away from KROQ, as you suggested, then I can kind of understand. But still, it'd be nice to hear some of their songs on Indie, other than Knock Me Down.
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
biLzamo

Re: Groups Indie Never Used To Play

Post by biLzamo »

Yeah it wasnt until I heard some other songs by the Killers that i appreciated them

assholitis wrote:
biLzamo wrote:I remember listening to Indie and thinking "gee, why dont they ever play any of the Killers or RHCP".
Hm, well I don't know if they played 'em in heavy rotation at first, but I remember one of the first songs I started hearing a lot of when Indie first started was Jenny was a Friend of Mine. I don't think it ever got played in rotation on KROQ, which is partially why it's the only Killers song I still really like, I also like that it's really cryptic, and bass-driven. Completely opposite of all the other poppy tunes the Killers have.
As for the RHCP, I agree, I wonder why Indie doesn't play them as well. They're probably one of the only bands KROQ plays in heavy rotation that I really enjoy. If it's to prove a point to be as far away from KROQ, as you suggested, then I can kind of understand. But still, it'd be nice to hear some of their songs on Indie, other than Knock Me Down.

- Doug McKenzie