la times review Indie Party

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

la times review Indie Party

Post by obiwankobe »

calendarlive.com Rizza
http://www.calendarlive.com/nightlife/r ... 7518.story
POP MUSIC REVIEW
Indie 103 has itself a merry, mod little Christmas
The upstart station throws a soiree at the Shrine. Jonesy is MIA, but Giant Drag and the Like offer inspired sets.
By Steve Appleford
Special to The Times

December 19, 2005

A great radio station knows its audience and where to lead it, or at least how to show it a good time. KDLD /KDLE-FM, better known as Indie 103.1, is the local upstart challenger to modern-rock leader KROQ-FM, but its holiday concert Friday at the Shrine was no superstar fest on the level of Almost Acoustic Christmas.

It was more like the station: smaller, quirkier and truer to its indie ethos, with urgent sets by inspired young bands Giant Drag and the Like.

These rock acts wouldn't normally yet have the juice to headline a massive venue like the Shrine, but Indie somehow transformed the old auditorium into a rock club: The seating area was roped off, and fans entered from backstage to mingle on the stage itself, as bands played with their backs to the empty seats. The setting was both epic and intimate, with white Christmas trees and the handing out of candy canes.

The first set came from the duo Giant Drag. Like its new album, "Hearts and Unicorns," the band's short set offered spare, tough, hook-filled indie rock. Singer Annie Hardy was typically awkward and utterly self-assured behind her fuzz-ball guitar, grinding like PJ Harvey or Kim Deal during "Yflmd."

There was a raw, explosive reading of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game," plus Hardy's hilariously downbeat comments between songs.

As she dedicated "This Isn't It" to station DJ and mascot Steve Jones, she deadpanned: "This one is dedicated to my buddy Jonesy. He likes this song. I don't."

Closing the night was the Like, an edgy power pop trio with forceful melodies and quick, simple riffing. "What I Say and What I Mean1" was dynamic, muscular pop, while "Too Late" alternated dramatically between quiet and loud passages. Drummer Tennessee Thomas' reindeer antlers flew off as she pounded through "Mrs. Actually."

Station star (and former Sex Pistol) Jones was a no-show as Santa, due to illness. And the night might have benefited from a third (or fourth) band on the bill.

But Indie's too-brief Christmas party still delivered a genuinely unique event that deserves to become a great local tradition, much like the station.
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
MicheBel

Indie rules

Post by MicheBel »

Well, it's a good review, but what is this "local upstart challenger" nonsense?

Try KROQ is dead and gone, and Indie is true music station in town...

--M
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

yeah ill kick kroqs ass!
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

what a good write up though. more free press for indie. i bet come next year the show will be a lot bigger.

- Doug McKenzie
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Notice the D.J that wasn't there got a mention and the D.J's that where there did not.

Pooey!
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

yeah, and i didnt get mentioned at all.. what the ef'

- Doug McKenzie
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Nor me,

All I can say is that if I had known T.K was there dressed like Santa & the LA Times where there with cameras and reporters it would have been bloodier than the GWAR gig.