Subterranean

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

lsinger9404

Subterranean

Post by lsinger9404 »

So who was it that turned me on to this MTV2 show?? I think Glenn. Anyhow...thanks for doing so. It's pretty cool with a nice selection of videos. And they're fairly on the edge. It used to bug me when "120 Minutes" would throw in a "regular rotation" video like U2 or REM just cause they once had indie cred (hmmm...sounds like another "on the edge" media outlet we all know and love). I mean....there's ONLY 120 minutes to fill. If each video is 4 minutes long, that's 30 videos they can play. But wait...there's 3 4 minute commercial breaks an hour, so that knocks off 6 songs, making it 24. Then, Kevin Seal is gonna do some lame routines, bringing us to abolut 18 songs. Since there's ONLY 18 songs, give us the 18 that we can't see or hear anywhere else!

The host on Subterrannean mines the Kevin Seal territory. Luckily, I have a functioning FF button.

And one complaint I have are these damn blue title bars at the beggining and end of each video. And..in the middle of the video, they have to flash a bvlue bar telling me I'm watching Subterranean.
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

There is no such thing as "Indie cred" and anyone who thinks there is or tries to live by it is an idiot. REM is awesome and a pioneer of indie music.
Subterranean is a pretty good show, but it's sad that that's as underground as MTV can go.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

Annie-
Allow me to clarify.

The exsistence of a concept such as "Indie cred" may be a misnomer...but let's be totally honest and blunt. There was a time when U2 and REM, even though they had a couple albums out, were not given the time of day on MAINSTREAM radio, MTV, frat parties, supermarket "piped in" playlists, presidential inaugurations, etc...

Nowadays...you can hear both bands EVERYWHERE. For instance, I turned on Indie the other day and there was a commercial. I pushed the dusty "5" button on my stereo which is KLOS) and they were playing U2. I listened for a few seconds bobbing my head, and then pressed the even dustier "1" (for KROQ) after brushing away the cobwebs. They were playing U2. I decided enough time had passed and I hit "3" (for 103.1) and TK was cueing up U2. Frustrated, I turned on the TV and MTV was playing the video (yes, they do play videos every now and then...besides, it was late at night) for "Vertigo". I decided to turn to Ch 7 and see if a pathetic reality show could lift my spirits, but they were playing a commercial. Which one? You guessed it...the U2 iPod commercial. I decided to go to the corner 7/11 to drown my sorrows in Big Gulp, and they were piping in the Muzak version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday". I came home, and the frat house next door was having a party and playing REALLY LOUD music. So I went next door and when the guy opened the door with a beer in one hand and doing the hang ten/devil horn sign with the other, I heard the music they were playing was U2

So...to wrap this up...NO, there may not be such a thing as "Indie cred"...but there are A LOT of bands in need of the airtime that is being used up by bands that oversaturate the airtime. how about bands like !!!, Cat Power, Stereolab, Soundtrack Of Our Lives, Twilight Singers, etc... Sure, they get some play..but very minimal. And when established bands are taking up the airwaves (like Boston, Fleetwood Mac, KC & The Sunshine Band, and Toto) in the early days of U2 and REM were...these bands donn't get a chance.

I'll dismount from my soapbox.

Oh...and as a side note, disclaimer: I LOVE both bands and have everything they have done and see them everytime they come to town....I just am hungry for new music I haven't heard.
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

hahaha, first of all that story seems a bit exagerated.
I don't have a problem with bands like U2 and REM being all over, all the time because they earned that place. It's the Britney Spears of the world that worry me.

P.S. I loooooove Cat Power!!!!!!!
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Any whooz It wasn't me Larry. Someone was trying to get me to watch it at some point but I really have no time for MTV. I think it might have been Kevin who was posting about that show. (If not some poor kid who was probably told to Fuck off at some point for having a different opinion)
8)
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

What? Not here! Everyone's too friendly here!!!!! :lol:
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Well, not me either. I was just bitching at my cable provider for making MTV 2 a pay channel. Actually, I thought it was Larry! haha But since he's asking, I guess it wasn't him. And it's apparently not Glen either. So...I guess that just leaves Tom. Tegan and Sara Tom, that is.

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

It's an Indie forum mystery......
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

assholitis wrote: I was just bitching at my cable provider for making MTV 2 a pay channel.

-Kevin
Are you going to pay for it. I woudn't.

Maybe this is where Univision step in. Entravision gave us a Spanish radio station...now give us a Spanish t.v station damit.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Leave Univision alone... people need their soaps!!!!!!!
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

There's about 4 Spanish TV stations, maybe 6 if you really look hard enough. Telemundo anyone? Ay, donde estan mis telenovelas? Dios mo!

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Yeah, more like 6 of them..... I don't watch any Spanish TV anyways, but I know how angry Spanish housewives get if you take their 'novelas'... and it's not a pretty sight!
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

It was me

-tom
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
obiwankobe

Recap 05.08.05 Hosted by Secret Machines

Post by obiwankobe »

Aesop Rock - Fast Cars -
Theivery Corporation(Feat Sleepy Wonder & Gunjan) from The Cosmic Game
-Warning Shots -
Death From Above 1979 - Blood on Your Hands -
The Ravonettes - Love in a Trash Can -
Piebald - Part of Your Body is Made Out of Rock -
Devendra Barnhard - Made of Ribbon -
Secret Machines - The Road Leads Where It's Led -
The Futureheads - Decent Days & Nights -
M83 -Don't Save Us From The Flames -
Animal Collective - ...rabbit... -

-tom
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Wait, was that the subterranean playlist? Are they playing M83 and Animal Collective?? Crazy....
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

Annie,
That was last nights playlist. I have another one on my desk right now from 4.25

M.I.A, Shouts Out Loud, Mercury Rev, The Album Leaf, Theivery Corporation, LCD Soundsystem, M83, Saul Williams, Radio 4, & Eisley

-tom
-tom

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Tom, I feel like I'm talking to Tegan... or Sara....
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I don't know which one is which either
-tom

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

hahahaha, that's hilarious!
-Julian Casablancas