Strokes (For Annie)

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Strokes (For Annie)

Post by obiwankobe »

The Strokes Reveal More Details on New LP

James Gregory reports:
The elves at the Wiz Kid management workshop have apparently been working overtime, as the Strokes official fan club sent out their latest care package this past week, chock full of garage rock goodness. As usual, members of "Alone, Together", received a quarterly newsletter featuring exclusive news, interviews, and photos, with this latest volume (issue 8, for those keeping score) finally offering a few more concrete details of the band's long-gestating third album-- which club curator Matt Romano boasts, "If you're not prepared to be completely blown away, don't buy!"

An interview with generally tight-lipped singer Julian Casablancas offers a number of nuggets, as he speaks at length about the sessions for the new LP-- starting with the band's experience working with producer, David Kahne. "I think he's really cool," Casablancas says. "I think when you first meet him though, you can sort of get caught in the façade. He has a very technical knowledge and he'll be very quick to casually spew it out. You might think he's just some serious slick hit-maker and that he doesn't care about music, but that's what he's all about: music. He cares about it so deeply that if you change a little part, and you're hurting the song, he'll cry."

Kahne, who previously produced albums by Paul McCartney, Sugar Ray, and the Presidents of the United States of America, originally seemed like an odd choice for the band, whose sound is so deeply rooted in New York lo-fi cool, and Casablancas also admits to creative tension in the studio. "He likes that atonal modern stuff, so he doesn't mind being weird and original, and that's what he prays for. But then, sometimes something that just has a cool thing that's not popular, he'll want to transform it into something that could be more accessible, but all it's coolness is erased. That's the main compromise that we have trouble with. I mean sure, I understand on every mindless level why it's, like, pleasant, but no, it's not what I want to sing. It's the difference between lame and cool."

Potential lameness aside, Casablancas also sheds some light on the album's ever-lengthening production cycle, which we've been reporting on since, oh, the summer of 2004 (but who's keeping track?). "I guess the game has changed," he shares. "It's a new sort of approach. I always felt that it [Room on Fire] was sort of Part 2. Is This It was sort of a two-parter. Like the first 22 songs. It's such a different process. I have a lot more trust now. David gets seriously good sounds, and I don't even have to be there when they do the drums and bass and most of the guitars. I think we realized that what we wanted is not some professional slickness to our music, it's the mixture of someone [Kahne] who has that kind of knowledge, with the kind of thing that we want-- which is something that doesn't exist too much. So it's hard, we're sort of inventing it as we go along."

With the band's previous two records so similar in delivery, plus or minus a couple Cars riffs, fans have ultimately been left wondering how the new record will sound without longtime collaborator Gordon Raphael behind the console. "I've sort of made sure there are no parts there that are impossible [to play live]. Some things on the drums are going to be tricky, and Albert may have to mimic two rhythms at times, but it's all do-able. It's not like we have a lute and a harp and it's going to be there live. There's delay on it. I never liked it, but now it's sort of everywhere on the record. Not crazy 80s reverb, just enough to give a lot of the instruments space so it sounds fuller, bigger, and louder, and what I used to call 'more professional.'"

As for the album's current status, the Strokes are now holed up in a New York City studio mixing a total of 14 tracks for the disc with Andy Wallace (Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Jeff Buckley). And although it's stressed that they're still unsure how many of the songs will make the final cut, the three tracks we told you about last month-- "Vision of Division", "Razor Blade", and "Ask Me Anything"-- have been confirmed as definite members of the hallowed tracklist. Previous speculation that the album will see a January 2006 release is also confirmed, although a date has yet to be specified (hey, who needs the Christmas sales-- not the Strokes!).

And while Strokes newsletters aren't flying off eBay like they used to, the fan club package also shipped with an exclusive band DVD, which includes a 1-track live clip of "Reptilia" taken from the group's performance at the 2004 Big Day Out festival. And while cool and all, after a couple spins, my inner Ebert says save your auction cash, as it's hardly a professional affair-- looking more like a film school editing project than David LaChapelle wet dream. But since most of you tend to grade the Strokes on a Grand Canyon-sized curve, Paypal away, kids!

In other Strokes news, New York Post's Page Six reports that guitarist Albert Hammond Jr. is opening a New York club with comedian/actor David Cross. The pair and two others are buying into Lower East Side nightclub Eleven, a three-level space. Both the current owner and promoter will remain on, while Cross' girlfriend, Sara Egan, will manage the club.

Finally, as previously reported, the Strokes have also announced plans to tour South America this October-- specifically Brazil, Argentina, and Chile-- although those details are also coming together (sorry live dates, take a number). A large-scale U.S. tour is also supposedly in the works after the new album's release early next year. We'll keep you posted.

* The Strokes: http://www.thestrokes.com
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

She'll never read that....LOL
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

she loves them, she'll read it and then bitch about the author not "knowing" the strokes and trying to get all intellectual
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
Glenn

Re: Strokes (For Annie)

Post by Glenn »

obiwankobe wrote:The Strokes Reveal More Details on New LP

James Gregory reports:
The elves at the Wiz Kid management workshop have apparently been working overtime, as the Strokes official fan club sent out their latest care package this past week, chock full of garage rock goodness. As usual, members of "Alone, Together", received a quarterly newsletter featuring exclusive news, interviews, and photos, with this latest volume (issue 8, for those keeping score) finally offering a few more concrete details of the band's long-gestating third album-- which club curator Matt Romano boasts, "If you're not prepared to be completely blown away, don't buy!"

An interview with generally tight-lipped singer Julian Casablancas offers a number of nuggets, as he speaks at length about the sessions for the new LP-- starting with the band's experience working with producer, David Kahne. "I think he's really cool," Casablancas says. "I think when you first meet him though, you can sort of get caught in the façade. He has a very technical knowledge and he'll be very quick to casually spew it out. You might think he's just some serious slick hit-maker and that he doesn't care about music, but that's what he's all about: music. He cares about it so deeply that if you change a little part, and you're hurting the song, he'll cry." :(

Kahne, who previously produced albums by Paul McCartney, Sugar Ray, and the Presidents of the United States of America, originally seemed like an odd choice for the band, whose sound is so deeply rooted in New York lo-fi cool, and Casablancas also admits to creative tension in the studio. "He likes that atonal modern stuff, so he doesn't mind being weird and original, and that's what he prays for. But then, sometimes something that just has a cool thing that's not popular, he'll want to transform it into something that could be more accessible, but all it's coolness is erased. That's the main compromise that we have trouble with. I mean sure, I understand on every mindless level why it's, like, pleasant, but no, it's not what I want to sing. It's the difference between lame and cool."

Potential lameness aside, Casablancas also sheds some light on the album's ever-lengthening production cycle, which we've been reporting on since, oh, the summer of 2004 (but who's keeping track?). "I guess the game has changed," he shares. "It's a new sort of approach. I always felt that it [Room on Fire] was sort of Part 2. Is This It was sort of a two-parter. Like the first 22 songs. It's such a different process. I have a lot more trust now. David gets seriously good sounds, and I don't even have to be there when they do the drums and bass and most of the guitars. I think we realized that what we wanted is not some professional slickness to our music, it's the mixture of someone [Kahne] who has that kind of knowledge, with the kind of thing that we want-- which is something that doesn't exist too much. So it's hard, we're sort of inventing it as we go along."

With the band's previous two records so similar in delivery, plus or minus a couple Cars riffs, fans have ultimately been left wondering how the new record will sound without longtime collaborator Gordon Raphael behind the console. "I've sort of made sure there are no parts there that are impossible [to play live]. Some things on the drums are going to be tricky, and Albert may have to mimic two rhythms at times, but it's all do-able. It's not like we have a lute and a harp and it's going to be there live. There's delay on it. I never liked it, but now it's sort of everywhere on the record. Not crazy 80s reverb, just enough to give a lot of the instruments space so it sounds fuller, bigger, and louder, and what I used to call 'more professional.'"

As for the album's current status, the Strokes are now holed up in a New York City studio mixing a total of 14 tracks for the disc with Andy Wallace (Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Jeff Buckley). And although it's stressed that they're still unsure how many of the songs will make the final cut, the three tracks we told you about last month-- "Vision of Division", "Razor Blade", and "Ask Me Anything"-- have been confirmed as definite members of the hallowed tracklist. Previous speculation that the album will see a January 2006 release is also confirmed, although a date has yet to be specified (hey, who needs the Christmas sales-- not the Strokes!).

And while Strokes newsletters aren't flying off eBay like they used to, the fan club package also shipped with an exclusive band DVD, which includes a 1-track live clip of "Reptilia" taken from the group's performance at the 2004 Big Day Out festival. And while cool and all, after a couple spins, my inner Ebert says save your auction cash, as it's hardly a professional affair-- looking more like a film school editing project than David LaChapelle wet dream. But since most of you tend to grade the Strokes on a Grand Canyon-sized curve, Paypal away, kids!

In other Strokes news, New York Post's Page Six reports that guitarist Albert Hammond Jr. is opening a New York club with comedian/actor David Cross. The pair and two others are buying into Lower East Side nightclub Eleven, a three-level space. Both the current owner and promoter will remain on, while Cross' girlfriend, Sara Egan, will manage the club.

Finally, as previously reported, the Strokes have also announced plans to tour South America this October-- specifically Brazil, Argentina, and Chile-- although those details are also coming together (sorry live dates, take a number). A large-scale U.S. tour is also supposedly in the works after the new album's release early next year. We'll keep you posted.

* The Strokes: http://www.thestrokes.com

I've edited it more to Annies taste.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
Last edited by a KROQ spy! on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Shuddup Tom! I love it! Thank you so much!!! Great article! I'm going to cry because I'm not suscribed to the fan club anymore!!!! Wow, Julian was actually able to put together complete thoughts. Can't wait for the album... "Razor Blade"?????
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

That subject heading came off as rather perverse! You're just lucky this was related to music, otherwise the Indiesweeper might've censored this thread. :lol:

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

:shock:
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

nice
-tom

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

a KROQ spy! wrote:Image
Ahhhh... you're going to start my Stroke mania all over again... that man is beautiful! That's one of my favorite pictures of him.
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

-tom

gidgetgoestohell

Hey what wait..Uuu...I I I I...~rubs eyes~ Why is that squirel pulling a dolphin fish out of hi s squirel suit????
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

ROTF, LMAO!!!!! However, I did have to take a second look to make sure it was an alien....
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

*Annie* wrote:Shuddup Tom! I love it! Thank you so much!!! Great article! I'm going to cry because I'm not suscribed to the fan club anymore!!!! Wow, Julian was actually able to put together complete thoughts. Can't wait for the album... "Razor Blade"?????
Jules was actually interviewed on CNN Headline News after Room on Fire was released. The interviewer said something along the lines of, "Casablancas is quiet, nice, and even polite - not exactly what you'd expect from a critically-acclaimed rock singer." haha That's a pleasant surprise about Jules. I was worried he'd come off as a prick cause he has that kind of cool vibe about him.

-Kevin

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Yeah, he seems very cool... he told me to calm down or be quiet once... but that's kind of embarassing so I won't tell the story.
-Julian Casablancas
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

*Annie* wrote:Yeah, he seems very cool... he told me to calm down or be quiet once... but that's kind of embarassing so I won't tell the story.
TELL THE STORY!
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

*Annie* wrote:Yeah, he seems very cool... he told me to calm down or be quiet once... but that's kind of embarassing so I won't tell the story.
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Cute PJs Annie!
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

Annie was so happy to see some new lyrics from the Strokes she immediately had to jump up and start singing. :P
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

"new lyrics"...is that what the kids call it nowadays :shock:
~Gooch

a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

Gooch wrote:"new lyrics"...is that what the kids call it nowadays :shock:
:lol:
Hey Gooch, sometime lets get together and check out 'some new lyrics'.
:P :P :lol:
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

a KROQ spy! wrote:
Gooch wrote:"new lyrics"...is that what the kids call it nowadays :shock:
:lol:
Hey Gooch, sometime lets get together and check out 'some new lyrics'.
:P :P :lol:
Anytime Senor Spy, just be gentle with me...its been a long time since I've seen...I mean heard new lyrics... :wink:
~Gooch

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Just make sure there's only one sausage. :lol:

-Kevin

*sireofwilshire*
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

~note to self, make sure there's only one sausage~
~Gooch

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Ahahaha... that picture cracked me up!
:D
"New lyrics"... ooooh! So are you one of those who thinks "all their songs sound ther same"? :?
-Julian Casablancas
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Don't know who you're asking, but I personally love their first album, but didn't care much for the second. It was a disappointment for me. We'll see how this third album turns out.
~Gooch

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

I was asking the spy.... but I don't get that whole thing where people like the first and not the second. IS THIS IT is such a great album and I don't think it can ever be topped. But ROOM ON FIRE is an amazing album as well. I'm sure the 3rd will be a lot different, but it has to be good because anything Strokes is bound for greatness.
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I guess I think outside the box. I think Room on Fire is even better than Is This It, which I think is an amazing CD in of itself. To me, if feels like on the second album, they sort of adapted their own sound rather than sounding like a mix of different bands that came before them.

But I did hear Hard to Explain on 91X Friday night and thought of Ms. Annie.

-Kevin

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Awesome! Hard to Explain is the first Strokes song I ever heard... I think it was in 2001... blew me away.
I don't think either album is better than the other, they are different... Is This It was a special album and it stands on its own... and yes, I can also hear that they really found their own sound in Room On Fire... a lot more mature, a lot more professional... I expect the same from the 3rd.
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

obiwankobe wrote:Image
-tom

gidgetgoestohell

TOM...your thingie is still discomboobalated.....it's drivin' me crazy....I just wanna grab it and adjust it....
Gidge

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Saw it the first time.... I disagree, but they do a nice cover of VU's Run Run Run.
P.S. Only Julian, Nick and Albert can get away with high-water pants...
-Julian Casablancas