New Orleans

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

Glenn

New Orleans

Post by Glenn »

Just unbeleavable. I didnt really get the extent of the disaster till last yesterday.

The big easy - a music meca gone (at least as we know it).

I'm glad I got to visit ther a few times casue is a great city. Who know how it will be rebuilt I guess.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

The soon to be ex-hubby was sent out there yesterday to help out.
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Fats Domino Missing in New Orleans
Sep 1, 12:37 PM EST

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Fats Domino was missing Thursday, days after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, said his longtime agent, Al Embry.

Embry told The Associated Press that he hadn't been able to contact Domino since talking to him Sunday evening by phone.

The 77-year-old R&B legend, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told Embry that he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his wife, Rosemary, and their daughter.

"I hope somebody turns him up, but as of right now, we haven't got anybody that knows where he's at," said Embry, who has worked with Domino for 28 years. "I would think he might be safe because somebody said he was on top of the balcony."

Checquoline Davis, Domino's niece, posted a message on Craigslist.com Thursday pleading for information. Davis wrote that Domino, his wife, their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of the second floor.

Domino, who has rarely appeared in public in recent years, has a home in the 9th ward, a low-lying area of the flooded city.

Getting information on possible missing persons has been nearly impossible as phone lines for hospitals and police haven't been working.

Domino has sold more than 110 million records in his long career, including the legendary singles "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame."

His 1950 recording of "The Fat Man" is sometimes called the first real rock 'n' roll record. He was among the first honorees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
MicheBel

Safe List

Post by MicheBel »

There is a page on CNN for people who are safe, if they want to let friends and family know:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurric ... index.html

Cause the phones are impossible. Even cells.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

--Miche

Pass it on.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

FATS DOMINO FOUND

FATS DOMINO, reported missing in the wake of
Hurricane Katrina by both his niece and longtime
agent, was saved by boat. The daughter of the
seventy-seven-year-old R&B legend, Karen Domino White,
has positively identified Domino as being among a
group of people photographed by the New Orleans
Times-Picayune climbing onto a rescue boat near
his devastated home in the Ninth Ward neighborhood.
The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer is best known for
the classic singles "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't
That a Shame." White is still awaiting word of
Domino's wife, Rosemary, and other family members who
were in New Orleans when the hurricane struck.
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

Isn't that GREAT Gooch? Himself and I were both bummin' hard yesterday over that particular news, and then when he was found, we all (Holden included) did a lil happy Snoopy dance in the kitchen...Holden got an extra cookie....:)
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

I was hoping they would find him on top of Blueberry Hill looking for his thrill...
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

well....maybe they DID...I'd be fucking thrilled to be rescued from that mess.....
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Just goes to show that we better prepare for when the big one hits us. Because Bush is going to take his sweet ass time in sending help.
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

I dunno if that is fair. The people are there to rescue them, only to have those waiting to be rescued open fire on them....
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

na, there will be plenty of help casue there is millions of displaced citizens, many of whiom will soon be talking to military recruiters for a bed, meal & paycheck & Holiday in Iraq.

At least the military recruitment problem is over for Bush. Watch the sign on bonus disappear as quickly as it came.

- Glenn The Synic-

p.s if there is ever a natrual disaster here please don't react by shooting me.
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I dunno if that is fair. The people are there to rescue them, only to have those waiting to be rescued open fire on them....
Not everyone is shooting at all the different locations.
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

Not everybody is raping and murdering either, but it IS happening. It's a sad situation made even sadder by the human condition.
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Glenn wrote:p.s if there is ever a natrual disaster here please don't react by shooting me.
Nah, I won't shot you. I have plenty of other people in front of you :wink:
~Gooch

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Not everybody is raping and murdering either, but it IS happening. It's a sad situation made even sadder by the human condition.
That's happening all across the country dear...
~Gooch

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Well the releif truck convey is there now, so that is good.

p.s

The best of heard so far is Bush is resposible for the category 4 Hurricane becasue he quit the Kyoto agreement.

o.k I agree he is not enviro friendly but that is a stretch.
gidgetgoestohell

Gooch wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:Not everybody is raping and murdering either, but it IS happening. It's a sad situation made even sadder by the human condition.

Yes....I know that it is. But, color me naive, in times of natural disaster people should pull together and work with one another...this just sickens me...makes me wonder why they stayed when they had ample warning to get the hell out of dodge and the the resulting madness......
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Just seems kinda weird.

911 everyone seemed to come together to help each other and the first responce seemed highly eficent & organised etc that is just not happening in New Orleans it is chaos.

I understand that the situation is different but there dosent seem that sence of unity among the people even in the face of disaster.

Trying times.
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:
Gooch wrote:

Yes....I know that it is. But, color me naive, in times of natural disaster people should pull together and work with one another...this just sickens me...makes me wonder why they stayed when they had ample warning to get the hell out of dodge and the the resulting madness......
They should, but no one really knows how they are going to react until one is in the situation. Basically we have a majority of the population down there that is the state of mind of every man for himself. There have been stories of heroism, but of course, the media isn't focusing on that...what a surprise...

I don't think that anyone really thought that the damage was going to be so great.
~Gooch

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Glenn wrote:
Just seems kinda weird.

911 everyone seemed to come together to help each other and the first responce seemed highly eficent & organised etc that is just not happening in New Orleans it is chaos.

I understand that the situation is different but there dosent seem that sence of unity among the people even in the face of disaster.

Trying times.
Just goes to show the difference between the Northerners and the Southerners....Civil War Part Deux...
~Gooch

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

My other favorite I saw on the News is the preachers/city religious leaders who actually get up on the news and say "this is God's revenge for taking Christian & religion out of the schools." Why even put someone like that on the news.
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

Here's the deal. Bush cut FEMA's budget to spend more on the "war on terror" (no idea where that money goes). The reason things are going slow with the delivery of aid is that Mississippi & Lousiana are two fo the poorer states in the country, also two states that really don't mean anything when it comes to electing a president. Florida was rebuilt so rapidly becuase it is a battleground state, and his brother is the govenor. New York was taken such good care of because it has the third most electoral college votes (LA & MS have a combined 15 to NY's 31). Also 40% of the South's National Gaurd is in Iraq. The fact that it's black people that need the help doesn't expadite the recovery. If it were The Hamptons that got hit you would have seen a much quicker response.
-tom

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Vote Cleaver
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Hm, lots of hot issues here. I just thought I'd comment on a few things and throw in my two cents.
GidgetgoestoHell wrote:Yes....I know that it is. But, color me naive, in times of natural disaster people should pull together and work with one another...this just sickens me...makes me wonder why they stayed when they had ample warning to get the hell out of dodge and the the resulting madness......
Well, I think like Gooch said, the majority of people (even experts) had no idea of knowing the extent of damage and havoc that Katrina would wreak upon New Orleans. Personally, I didn't even discover how bad things were until about Tuesday evening or so. I figured it'd just be a typical hurricane and knock over a couple of houses and trees, much like it did in Florida.
Also, just because people have ample warning doesn't necessarily mean they can just pick up and leave. Many people didn't own cars or have any other viable means of transportation. In adidtion they didn't have sufficient funding for lodging and travel until this blew over. I myself have a friend in Florida and during Hurricane Dennis of this year, her family simply couldn't afford a hotel up north for the week or so necessary while the storm weathered over. In addition, due to gas shortages and long lines, they couldn't travel very far. What they ended up doing is just staying with relatives a few cities over, which in fact was still hit by the hurricane just not as severly. Well, as for the people in New Orleans, there's not many places they could've traveled within reasonable distance that didn't get hit hard. We're talking about a situation where entire counties are reporting 100+ casaulties.
Glenn wrote:My other favorite I saw on the News is the preachers/city religious leaders who actually get up on the news and say "this is God's revenge for taking Christian & religion out of the schools." Why even put someone like that on the news.
I agree, Glenn. It's pretty sickening and ignorant. I remember preachers saying the same thing about 9/11 being God's punishment for homosexuality. I'm not big on religion anyways, but these guys definitely give it a bad name.
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

I guess I am like the stereptype black person in the horror flicks....if someboy tells me that there is danger...I am going to get the fuck OUT, one way or another (or at least I would hope). As a native Californian, I don't honestly understand hurricanes, earthquakes yes, hurricanes and tornados, not so much.

I know that there is a socio-economic problem going on here. I am just conservative enough to not want to blame the government when they are trying to help and are being shot at in the process.
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Isn't there a law or something that doesn't allow for the name Gidge and the word conservative to be used in the same sentence? :wink:
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

I am politically conservative on some issues Gooch La Bambi.....I can't hepp it....Newport Beach Republican Mother......born in Hoag Hawserpiter....I just can't hepp it.....
Gidge

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

USAction President William McNary
Releases Statement on the Gulf Coast Crisis
"We must return to the mainstream view that we are responsible
for each other, that we are our sisters' and brothers' keepers."

On Friday, September 2, 2005, USAction President William McNary released the following statement:

"On behalf of USAction, our hearts go out to the people and communities of the Gulf Coast who are being ravaged by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. At the same time, we add our voice to express outrage at the failure of the Bush Administration to both prepare for, and take care of, these hundreds of thousands of hurricane victims who have lost their lives and livelihood, their homes and their hope. Instead of the focus being on evacuation and saving lives, law enforcement officials are focusing on looters, most of whom are trying to get food, water and necessary supplies for their families.

"While the President sat on his ranch in Crawford, Texas, and looked the other way, 30,000 people were herded into the Louisiana Superdome with no food, water, protection or health care. Though the storms of nature were beyond our control, there is no excuse for our lack of preparation and adequate response. This is an unacceptable failure on the part of the Bush Administration.

"When the federal government sets the wrong priorities it is the American people who end up paying the price. Our National Guard should be in New Orleans saving lives, not in Iraq. Just last year, Bush cut $71 million from the Army Corps of Engineers for levee maintenance. Bush also proposed a significant reduction in funding for Southeast Louisiana’s chief hurricane project. Gas prices are approaching profiteering levels over $3 a gallon and no relief is in sight. And what are the Bush administration's priorities? Providing huge estate tax breaks to mega-millionaires.

"This is America, the world’s richest nation, and world will judge us on how we treat our fellow human beings. The images on television and in the newspapers show that we are treating mostly poor and black people worse than refugees. We must begin to redefine the role of government in our society. We must return to the mainstream view that we are responsible for each other, that we are our sisters' and brothers' keepers.

"The catastrophe in the Gulf Coast did not have to be as bad it turned out to be. President Bush must realize the magnitude of this disaster and begin to address it accordingly. Without any further delay, the administration must launch a massive effort to provide food, water, medical care, housing and troops wherever they're needed. The recently appropriated $10.5 billion aid package is a start, but it is a drop in the bucket. USAction will contribute to this effort and we encourage everyone who can to do the same. Let us all commit the resources necessary to provide a new start for our sister and brother storm survivors in the Gulf."

TAKE ACTION NOW!

Volunteer to provide housing to families fleeing Hurricane Katrina:
http://www.hurricanehousing.org

Call on the Senate to protect funding for vital services and preserve the estate tax:
USAction Activist Network
-tom

gidgetgoestohell

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=200558

Here's a rundown of historical downtown N.O. and the status of the places....
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

e-coli in the water of New Orleans - o shit -

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrin ... index.html

p.s If Mr shovel reads this nce touch to the ened of Check 1-2. Love that New Orleans Jazz.
jack
Site Admin

Post by jack »

Heh, mypoints had a donate now button, but when u clicked on it, it said sold out!
MicheBel

New Orleans music

Post by MicheBel »

I agree, Glenn. I thought that Louis Armstrong song was particularly poignant.

And what he said about how much New Orleans has done so much for music.

Indie should have a New Orleans Day, to remind us of some of the greats that started there.

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!