Moderator: Admin

MicheBel

Rob Dickinson at the Friars Club

Post by MicheBel »

Wow. Wow. Wow.

ROB DICKINSON
Friars Club
Indie 103.1 free show

I'm not good with names of band members. So I didn't really know who Rob Dickinson was until I heard his interview on Chuck P.'s wondrous Dead Air. Of course, I'd heard the Catherine Wheel, but I never connected the two. So lately, Indie's been playing a lot of Catherine Wheel and Rob Dickinson's solo stuff (which I love just as much). I was psyched to go to this free concert.

Especially because it was in the illustrious Friars Club in Beverly Hills. What a cool place. Such a history. All the portraits on the walls of comedians past. And Larry King? Um, ok.

You know, every Indie show has cool people who populate it. This one was no different. LA hipsters of every stripe. Old, young, fashionistas and guys in jeans. Some famous, some not. Everyone there to dig the music.

I was hanging out, talking with a really nice man who was there with his teenage son. In walks Rob Dickinson. I knew this by his vibe. Well, and by the several pretties who were hanging around him. See you later, he says. He is indeed a handsome man up close.

The first band played, great stuff. Wish I could remember their name now.

But then it was time for Rob Dickinson. By this time, I'm hanging with Jewell and JR (from Jonesy's blog), two amazingly beautiful women. We manage, somehow to get up really close. In fact, those two were damn near onstage with him. We were so close we could see his sweat. It was frikkin awesome.

He and his band of six others rocked the house. And I loved it all equally. Whether it was an old Catherine Wheel hit, or a new (in Indie rotation) Rob Dickinson hit, it was awesome. Hard-rocking guitar-blaring, or quieter acoustic. It was all amazing. People were taking photos all around (wish I'd brought my camera, damn it!). It was being videotaped (and people had been interviewed earlier).

What an amazing energy he had. It was one of the best concerts of recent memory. I can't wait to see him again.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

Sounds like a terrific show. The Catherine Wheel was a great band and I like what I've heard of Rob's solo stuff, especially "Oceans". The opening band was supposed to be The Tender Box. Indie is just starting to play their song "Mister Sister" but I like their song "Let Go" better. Thanks for the report on the show!
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Yeah...we went to a PUNK show....go figure..that's just how we roll.....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

I went to karaoke & entertained myself but after I sang only 2 songs, the manager interrupted karaoke to put on a 30 minute commercial for the Harley shop down the street. So I went home. If I wanted to watch fuckin' TV, I would had stayed home with the wife.
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
MicheBel

And Tender Box too!

Post by MicheBel »

RobertKP wrote:Sounds like a terrific show. The Catherine Wheel was a great band and I like what I've heard of Rob's solo stuff, especially "Oceans". The opening band was supposed to be The Tender Box. Indie is just starting to play their song "Mister Sister" but I like their song "Let Go" better. Thanks for the report on the show!
Oh yeah, it was very cool, Robert. Tender Box did open, and they were a lot of fun to watch. Very energetic.
--M :)
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!